Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Off With Your Head- A Queen of Hearts Stage Makeup Tutorial

One of the most famous characters in literature, in film and on the stage is the Queen of Hearts. She's shown up in so many different adaptions: in the Disney cartoon, in Tim Burton's film from 2010, in Lewis Carroll's book "Alice in Wonderland" and, of course, on stage! So I decided to do a tutorial based upon Helena Bonham Carter's version:
Let's jump right in!

1. First use a good amount of foundation to achieve her perfect skin. It's important to look flawless for this character because she's a bit..quirky? I'm using NYC  Skin Matching Foundation in Shade 686 Light.

2. Next use your favorite concealer for covering up discoloration, dark circles and any imperfections. I'm going to use Neutrogena 3-in-1 Concealer fo Eyes in 05 Fair.

3. Onto blush! In the picture, she doesn't have any blush on, but I wanted to create a little more color on her cheeks, so I chose to put a light coat of Maybelline Dream Bouncy in 45 Orchid Hush on the apples of my cheeks and up to my temples.

4. Moving onto the eyes, I'm using an all over the lid white color from Bobbi Brown- "Snow".  It'll act as a good base for the blue we are putting on.

5. Next, using some Scotch Tape, tape diagonally from the outer corner of your eye to the outer edge of your brow. Do this on both sides. Then, take another piece and tape from the inner corner to the inner edge. This will create a sharp edge.

6. I'm going to take my Color Concept Palette from Target and use the lightest blue color, which is very sparkly. With a flat lid brush take the color all over the lid and up the brows. Make sure it's solid to create the very regal look.

7. Now with a pencil brush and the same pallete, take a slightly darker blue. Outline your outer edge and go into the crease and slightly into the lash line to create a little dimension in the look. Blend it out with a fluffy blending brush.

8. To make a gradient effect, I'm going to use the same Snow color and place it under my brow. It'll blend in with the blue, creating a gradient of shadows.

9. Now to define your eyes, take a gel or a liquid eyeliner (I like Bobbi Brown's Long Wear Gel Eyeliner in 01 Black Ink). Make a thin line staying close to your lash line, and then take the color onto your water line.

10. Curl your lashes and use a waterproof (to prevent smudging under the hot lights of the stage) mascara. Focus the mascara on your lower lashes to make you look ever quirkier!

11. Onto the lips! Start by using ELF's All Over Color Stick in #10341 Golden Peach and put it all over your lips for a good base.

12. Now take a red lipstick (I like Rimmel's Red Lipstick......but I don't know the name of it!) and make a fish face. Come on, you know what I'm talking about. Suck in your cheeks. Stay like that while your put on your lipstick on the top lip. For the bottom lip, create the shape of the bottom of a heart. When you relax your face, you can touch it up.

And your done! I hope you like this tutorial and if you do, follow and keep reading! :)

xoxo Anna

2 comments:

  1. Cool! I loved your old blog, so I'm glad I found this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I just wanted to let you know I nominated this blog for an award at my blog! :)

      Delete